Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

worried and unsure
Jul 21, 2001

My first sexual experiance was when I was 15, a week after that incident, someone said to me they heard that the man I was with had AIDS. I am now 20 and have never been tested. I am not sure if I am unwilling to deal with the situation or what, the health problems I have had have been UTI's and yeast infections, problems that i encountered before being sexually active. I was on antibiotics for several months from a UTI that would keep recurring. Since then i have had a yeast infection resistant to treatment. What's your take?

Response from Dr. Aberg

The fact that you had sexual relations with someone who may have AIDS is reason enough to get tested. I doubt your urinary tract infections or yeast infections are related but that should not weigh in on your decision to get tested. Anyone who has had unprotected sex, sex with a known HIV partner, shared needles, shared cocaine straws, or has had a sexually transmitted disease should get HIV tested. It is best to know sooner and get appropriate care, education and services then wait until one gets sick.

Previous
How soon would I have symptoms?
Next
Rash

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.