Women and HIVWomen and HIV

worried and unsure

My first sexual experiance was when I was 15, a week after that incident, someone said to me they heard that the man I was with had AIDS. I am now 20 and have never been tested. I am not sure if I am unwilling to deal with the situation or what, the health problems I have had have been UTI's and yeast infections, problems that i encountered before being sexually active. I was on antibiotics for several months from a UTI that would keep recurring. Since then i have had a yeast infection resistant to treatment. What's your take?

Response from Dr. Aberg

The fact that you had sexual relations with someone who may have AIDS is reason enough to get tested. I doubt your urinary tract infections or yeast infections are related but that should not weigh in on your decision to get tested. Anyone who has had unprotected sex, sex with a known HIV partner, shared needles, shared cocaine straws, or has had a sexually transmitted disease should get HIV tested. It is best to know sooner and get appropriate care, education and services then wait until one gets sick.

How soon would I have symptoms?
Rash