Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Emblism
Jul 21, 2001

I found out this past week that a man I was intimate with twice, with a condom, has AIDS. We were intimate a little over 4 years ago. In Sept 2001 I had an emblism and was on Warfarin until Feb 2001. I've been gaining weight since then. My doctor tested me for a thyroid problem because he said one of my lymph nodes were swollen, but the thyroid panel showed my thyroid was fine. This passed week I had a yeast infection for the 2nd time in a year. I wasn't on antibiotics either time. I'm going to get tested this week for HIV. Are any of these symptons that I've had?

Response from Dr. Aberg

The fact that you have had initimate relations with someone who has known HIV is a reason to get tested so I am glad to hear you are going. It is very important that you get tetsed.

Embolism (blood clots in the veins that break off) can occur for many different reasons and people who have HIV are no more at risk than people who have similar conditions without HIV. Factors more commonly associated with deep venous thrombosis include underlying cancer, pregnancy, coagulation defects (clotting proteins), long periods of being sedentary (hospitalized patients), extremity fractures and having intravenous catheters placed in veins.

There have been studies looking at the incidence of vaginal yeast infections in women with and without HIV. There is no difference in frquency between the 2 groups. Although, women typically associate going on antibiotics the main culprit of yeast infections, many women get yeast infections for reasons we do not know.

So although I do not think your clot or yeast infection are HIV-related, you still need to get a HIV test because you may have been exposed. It is better to know now and get appropriate care and services then wait until you become ill should you have HIV

Previous
My Blood Donation to the Red Cross was rejected.
Next
How soon?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.