Women and HIVWomen and HIV

please help: furry tongue

I am a 21 year old female with a problem. It was in January of 2001 in which my boyfriend and i had unprotected sex. The last time was in march . We ended the relationship shortly thereafter. This june i went to be tested for HIV and the test came out negative. It was about a week ago that I began having problems. At fist it felt like the muscle in my neck and throat were tightening and it felt like there was something in my throat that I couldn't swallow down. And this week I had a coating on my tongue, It was whitish-yellow and had the appearance of wet fur. My mouth has been dry and feels like it has a cotton type coating to it, The furish substance came off when I brushed my tongue. I can swallow fine and my throat is a little scratchy. I had been taking metronidazole for a week but that was about two weeks ago. I have frequent urination but no burning. My urine is a clear color with an odor to it. My question is do you think that this is HIV related and should I get retested? Thanks, lakailah

Response from Dr. Aberg

No, I do not think you have HIV. I think you have an uncommon but definitely reported side effect from the metronidiazole. Furry tongue and dry mouth are side effects from the metronidazole. It should go away soon.

Once again
Mixed Couple-Depression in + partner