Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Nipple discharge a risk for HIV?

Hello Dr. Aberg,

Is normal nipple discharge an HIV transmission risk to my sexual partner? The other day, my partner and I were engaging in foreplay and he tasted some some discharge in the mouth after sucking on my nipples. I am HIV+. Is he at risk? Thank you for your help.

Response from Dr. Aberg

I do not know what type of discharge you are referring to. Are you breastfeeding? Breastmilk can transmit HIV to infants, but I would not be concerned about a drop of milk from your nipple. If you are not lactating (producing milk), than you really should not have a significant discharge from your nipple. Normal sweat and glandular secretions are not putting your partner at risk.

Remember to practice safe sex (use a condom, vaginal dam or oral dam) whenever you have vaginal, anal or oral sex.

blood tests
Liver Disease and HIV