Women and HIVWomen and HIV

17 is too young.......

i lost my virginity 6 mos ago to a boy with a VERY iffy sexual history, who is my age.(17)without a condom. I am very frightened by the possible viral infection symptoms,that go along with hiv infection(i think) that i have experienced: about a month later i had a rash that persisted for 5 mos (till about now. It was diagnosed by my MD as a viral skin infection(something rosea). also three weeks after the encounter on christmas day i had a 24 hour stomach flu type thing, then i was completely recovered the next day: now, 6 mos later i have a small pimple like bump on my vulva, i noticed it yesterday, no clue how long its been there. it isnt really painful. i have also been fatiged lately. i have only been with a virgin since, and i am extremely frightened that i have screwed up both of our lives. i guess my question is do you you think i may be infected with HIV based on the above info, and do you think i should get tested?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

If you are so frightened then the only sensible way to deal with your fears is indeed to go to a doctor or HIV testing center and get tested. This is the only way you will find out for certain whether or not you have been infected. As uncomfortable as getting tested will make you, and how anxious you will become waiting for the test results, unless you do this you will only continue to worry and torture yourself. I am NOT saying that your symptoms indicate that you are infected. They may be caused by your guilt about having had unprotected sex or even by your own high anxiety and stress. So it really is in your best interest to get tested soon. Please do so without further delay. Michael Shernoff, MSW

Do you have to get it?
blood tests