Women and HIVWomen and HIV

TB skin test and HIV test

I usually test false positive or ambiguous with both the old tyne (sp?) and newer skin test for TB. (How I know this for sure would take too long to explain; in a nutshell an infectious disease specialist as well as several physicians said my tests are false pos. and I can consider myself TB neg.) I also break out in mild hives very frequently but to no particular allergen as far as I know. Both conditions have occurred all my life and way before any possible exposure to HIV.

Do these facts have ANY bearing at all on an Orasure HIV-1 test, and/or how my HIV antibodies may react? In particular, would it have any effect on the risk of getting a false positive?

Thanks,

Response from Dr. Aberg

I don't know why you have a "false positive"TB test. Some people are allergic to the reagent used in the TB test but the reaction from an allergy is different than a real positive. Nevertheless, that should not have any bearing on the HIV test. All HIV tests are confirmed by Western Blot.

There is a condition called generalized urticaria (hives) and frequently we cannot identify the cause. This should not interfere with the interpretation of the HIV test.

Testing - Thank you
HIV Simptoms