Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Sunken Breast

I was diagnosed in 1992. In 1998 I began to show (rapidly) the loss of all fat from limbs, face and buttocks. Now I am beginning to see a "drepression" in my right breast when I am laying down. I am 49, currently taking Zerit, Epivir and Sustiva (switched from Viracept to Sustiva in 1998). Do you think this is related to the "wasting/lipoatrophy"? Has anyone else reported such a problem? Thanks

Response from Dr. Aberg

Breast enlargement has been described in women taking antiretroviral therapy. Depending on weight gain or loss, breast tissue may vary. I do not know what you are describing but if you are seeing a change in your breast, you should have your doctor examine you as soon as possible. At 49, you should also have a mammogram to screen for breast cancer. I am not trying to alarm you but it is best to make sure there isn't a mass there which is distorting the breast tissue.

Follow up question from June 9th response
is hpv commen in women without hiv