Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Follow up question from June 9th response
Jun 20, 2001

Judith, Thanks for your answer to my question of June 9 "Weight shift from legs to abdomen". You wondered about whether my t-cells at 1300 were "artificially high"..and asked if my spleen was removed. Yes, it was removed in 1991 following an episode of ITP. I'm very concerned!! I've been so proud of my high t-cell counts ever since my diagnosis in 97 (in the middle of round 3 of CHOP for lymphoma). I have no good baseline due to the chemo, but recall the t-cells at around 350 at that time and viral load at about 50,000. Truly, it has been nothing but undetectable and t-cells above 1200 since then...what is the deal with my not having a spleen? Not one physician (very good ones) has suggested that this could be causing "artificially" high counts.....Please don't burst my bubble but what's the association????? Thank you very much Private e-mail Gigiken@aol.com

Response from Dr. Aberg

Having your spleen out changes your absolute number of white blood cells. In interpreting what your "adjusted" CD4 is , your doctor should follow your percent. The percent will give a better correlation of what your immune status is. Sorry to "burst your bubble" but it is important to recognize what your CD4 counts represent. Ask your doctor what your percent of CD4 is . Individuals without their spleen should be on PCP prophylaxis if their CD4 percent is less than 14%. There are medical papers describing this and you may want to discuss this issue with your doctor.

Previous
hiv+hpv and maternity
Next
Sunken Breast

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.