Women and HIVWomen and HIV

hiv+hpv and maternity

dear judith i am a 38 year old women hiv+por the last 20 years i am taking abacavir+lamivudina+nelfinavir for the last 4 years my cd4 count is 300 and my viral load is less than 50 copies .10 years ago i was diagnose with hpv in the cervix i had a laser treatment 2 times and nowdays i go each 6 month to the gine i always have a cinI. now i want to get pregnant. i want your opinion on this matter. thnks and regards rose from spain

Response from Dr. Aberg

HPV or human papilloma virus is a virus that is sexually transmitted and is associated with genital warts and cervical cancer. I am glad to hear that you have had such good follow up by your gynecologist.

You need to ask your gynecologist about your HPV status and whether you have any evidence of cervical disease or infection. I am assuming that your most recent PAP smears are negative but you need to discuss this with your doctor.Having had HPV is not a reason not to have a baby.

Congratulations on doing so well with your HIV medications. The fact that your viral load is less than 50 copies means you would be less likely to transmit HIV to your baby. It is not zero but there are reports of centers that have transmission rates of less than 1% when the women have undetectable virus in their blood. It is imperative that you continue to have excellent HIV care and OB care should you decide to get pregnant.

The decision to have a baby is one that is best made by you and your local doctors. I have treated many women during their pregnancies and the advice I give them is to take care of themselves first as you seem to be doing. The decision to have a baby is complex and involves much more than just HIV. If you really have decided to have a baby, then discuss this with your doctor. You need to think about the "what if's?" What if I get morning sickness and cannot keep down my HIV pills? What if I get a detectable viral load during the pregnancy? What if I get sick during pregnancy? What if my baby is born with HIV? Who will watch and raise my child if I become ill? Many HIV positive women have had babies and are doing just fine. If there is a women's support group available, I suggest you join them Hearing how others are managing can be a big help.

Good luck with your decision.

Afraid Uninformed and need answers
Follow up question from June 9th response