Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Afraid Uninformed and need answers

My daughter has just been diagnosed with HIV. I have not received my results back. I have had none of the symptoms of this and I am very concerned with what this is and how after ten years have had no signs that I know of. I have had everyother test done from Hepatis B,C Epstein Bar and everything but that done so could there be a chance that I do have this and may never show signs??I am new and have no Idea what this is and would like to be informed thanks

Response from Dr. Aberg

You do not state when you had your test done but the results should be back soon. An important part of getting tested is receiving the counseling afterwards. Your doctor will go over the test results and what they mean. If you are positive, you will receive lots of education about HIV and be told about all the options for treatment. If you are negative, then this is an opportunity to discuss how HIV is transmitted and ways to avoid getting infected.

You can have HIV for many years and not be aware of it. That is why it is so important for anyone who has risk factors for HIV to be tested and learn ways to protect yourself and others.

Waiting for test results can cause lots of anxiety. Try not to obsess over what the results may be. You should have them shortly. Be prepared to ask questions regardless of what the results are. I encourage you to read all you can about HIV so you can understand your daughter's health. It is very critical that you are supportive of your daughter. There are lots of challenges facing her and the more you know, the more you can help each other.

Symptoms
hiv+hpv and maternity