Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Afraid Uninformed and need answers
Jun 16, 2001

My daughter has just been diagnosed with HIV. I have not received my results back. I have had none of the symptoms of this and I am very concerned with what this is and how after ten years have had no signs that I know of. I have had everyother test done from Hepatis B,C Epstein Bar and everything but that done so could there be a chance that I do have this and may never show signs??I am new and have no Idea what this is and would like to be informed thanks

Response from Dr. Aberg

You do not state when you had your test done but the results should be back soon. An important part of getting tested is receiving the counseling afterwards. Your doctor will go over the test results and what they mean. If you are positive, you will receive lots of education about HIV and be told about all the options for treatment. If you are negative, then this is an opportunity to discuss how HIV is transmitted and ways to avoid getting infected.

You can have HIV for many years and not be aware of it. That is why it is so important for anyone who has risk factors for HIV to be tested and learn ways to protect yourself and others.

Waiting for test results can cause lots of anxiety. Try not to obsess over what the results may be. You should have them shortly. Be prepared to ask questions regardless of what the results are. I encourage you to read all you can about HIV so you can understand your daughter's health. It is very critical that you are supportive of your daughter. There are lots of challenges facing her and the more you know, the more you can help each other.

Previous
Symptoms
Next
hiv+hpv and maternity

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.