Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Yeast!!!

I was treated with Microgel vaginal gel for bacterial vaginosis. I had to repeat it in a week because it didn't clear it up the first time. After the 2nd time I developed a vaginal yeast infection and oral yeast infection. Could this medication lead to yeast in the mouth???

Response from Dr. Aberg

I am assuming you used Metrogel or metronidiazole for treatment of bacterial vaginosis. Although the topical gels and creams do not get the same sytemic (blood) effects, it certainly can get into other compartments of the body including the blood. You do not state if you have HIV, diabetes or are on other immunosuppressive agents, all of which can contribute to getting yeast infections. It is not uncommon for women to develop vulvovaginal yeast infections when on antibiotics.So, yes, using metrogel can increase your chance for developing yeast infections. It is a little more unusual to develop oral yeast (thrush) but again alot depends on other conditions or medicines you may be taking.

HIV & menstration
Symptoms