Women and HIVWomen and HIV

secretly

can you secretly get tested

Response from Dr. Aberg

Absolutely. There are anonymous testing sites. You can call your public health clinic and find out where the nearest site is. Usually this is done by giving you a "secret code". You return to the testing site with your "code" and then they give you the results of your test.

In case you are asking if someone can secretly test you without you knowing, that is quite a different question. All states have slightly different laws but for the most part, you must give consent to get tested for HIV. Some states do allow persons to be tested for HIV without consent in cases of being in jail or potential harm to another. For instance, say you were in a coma in a hospital and the nurse drawing your blood stuck herself. Then some states would allow the hospital to check your blood for hepatitis and HIV because if you had either disease, then the nurse would be offered medicine to prevent infection.

So, I hope I was able to answer your question. I encourage you to get tested if you have any risk factors for HIV. If you have ever had sex then that is a risk. Anyone can get HIV. If your test is negative, the test counselors will teach you ways to protect yourself. If you are positive, the counselors will teach you aboput HIV and direct you to care.

disease
my husband is HIV+ and we want a child