Women and HIVWomen and HIV

bronchiectasis & mac

My mother has bronchiectasis and mac. Please let me know if research is going on or a doctor for this

Response from Dr. Aberg

This is a web site aimed at questions regarding HIV. You do not say if your mother has HIV or not. The reason I ask is because MAC in a person without HIV may be quite different from MAC with an intact immune system.

MAC (Mycobacterium avium complex) is an organism similar to tuberculosis. It may colonize (live without causing disease) in the airway of people who are otherwise healthy. It also can cause lung disease. The fact that your mother has brochiectasis, would make her more susceptible to pneumonia.

Most pulmonologists (lung doctors) are familar with MAC. It is usually treated with a combination of 2 or 3 antibiotics that are taken for 12-18 months. I suggest that you go to a pulmonologist with your mother to discuss whether or not your mother has MAC disease.

disease