Women and HIVWomen and HIV

What to do if I become pregnant?

I have been infected for almost 2 known years. I found out while pregnant. Baby is negative! My question is if I were to become pregnant on my current regimen which is sustiva and combivir, what would be the risk to the unborn child since sustiva is very toxic and causes birth defects; and what would be my best plan of action to protect the baby? Also I was on Nelfinavir when I was pregnant, I wonder if I would have developed a resistance to this drug (plus it's nasty) and would I develop a resistance to sustiva by switching to another drug during pregnancy? I am on oral contraceptive, but may one day want to have another baby.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

If you are not using effective contraception or are trying to get pregnant I would encourage you to switch from Sustiva to Viramune, another equally potent NNRTI which appears to be safe when taken during pregnancy[this is assuming you have not failed Viramune previously]. John L. Sullivan, M.D.

Nonoxynol 9 Revisited
Treatment sparing regimen