Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Two questions please
Apr 10, 2000

Dear doctors, I am a female infected for 14 years, I am also infected with HTLV-1, could you tell me what is the affect HTLV-1 could have on AIDS, I've been on prednisone for years to control the symptoms of HTLV-1 and on and off protease inhibitors for AIDS.

Also, which drug combination is most likely to make someone develop lipodystrophy?

Thank you

M

Response from Dr. Jackson

The effect of HTLV-1 on the course of HIV disease progression has not been well studied as co-infection of HIV-1 and HTLV-1 is not very common primarily because HTLV-1 (unlike HTLV-II) is relatively rare in the United States and is mostly endemic in Japan and some Caribbean islands. HTLV-II on the other hand is quite common among HIV infected individuals especially individuals with a history of IV drug use. I suggest that you verify whether you are infected with HTLV-I or HTLV-II with your physician as there are now tests to differentiate the two infections. There have been studies looking at the effect of HTLV-II on HIV disease progression, but the some studies seen no effect whereas others report that there is a worse prognosis so the answer is not clear.

Brooks Jackson, M.D.

Previous
Structured Treatment Interruptions
Next
HIV:IMPLICATIONS FOR PREGNANCY AND THE NEWBORN

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.