Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Two questions please

Dear doctors, I am a female infected for 14 years, I am also infected with HTLV-1, could you tell me what is the affect HTLV-1 could have on AIDS, I've been on prednisone for years to control the symptoms of HTLV-1 and on and off protease inhibitors for AIDS.

Also, which drug combination is most likely to make someone develop lipodystrophy?

Thank you

M

Response from Dr. Jackson

The effect of HTLV-1 on the course of HIV disease progression has not been well studied as co-infection of HIV-1 and HTLV-1 is not very common primarily because HTLV-1 (unlike HTLV-II) is relatively rare in the United States and is mostly endemic in Japan and some Caribbean islands. HTLV-II on the other hand is quite common among HIV infected individuals especially individuals with a history of IV drug use. I suggest that you verify whether you are infected with HTLV-I or HTLV-II with your physician as there are now tests to differentiate the two infections. There have been studies looking at the effect of HTLV-II on HIV disease progression, but the some studies seen no effect whereas others report that there is a worse prognosis so the answer is not clear.

Brooks Jackson, M.D.

Structured Treatment Interruptions
HIV:IMPLICATIONS FOR PREGNANCY AND THE NEWBORN