Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HIV+ adoption

I am adopting an infant that has tested positive for antibodies. He is in a developing nation with no other testing available. Is it possible to have a virologist look at a series of quality photos for signs? My son is 7 months old and has what looks a little like baby acne and he seems to be getting lighter and lighter in complexion. He also tugs at his ear 3-4 times in the short video I have of him which may indicate an ear infection.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Many medical centers have pediatricians who are expert in caring for children who are adopted from overseas and it would probably be helpful for you to consult with either your pediatrician or an adoption specialist to review your child's medical history and plan for his arrival. He/she could probably review the video with you. However, the only real way to know whether a baby under the age of 18 months is infected or not is through PCR testing for viral nucleic acids in your baby's blood. Your pediatrician or an adoption specialist can arrange for this as soon as your baby arrives.

The Pill
IS THIS FOR REAL!!??