The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Undetectable father and Negative Mom
Dec 6, 2006

My fiance has been undetectable for the past 8 years...I was HIV- the last time I got tested which was 3 months ago. I just found out that I am 6 weeks pregnant. I don't know if I should go to a normal OB/Gyn for my prenatal care or to a high risk ob/gyn. What are the steps that I need to take as far as the type of test that I should undergo to make sure that the baby is ok and that I find out if I am HIV+ or not.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

The fact that your fiance is on therapy with undetectable viral loads reduces, but does not eliminate the rrisk of transmitting the virus to you. Your negative tests are reassuring but with this pregnancy, you should definitely be re-tested. I would recommend using not only the routine antibody test but also an RNA (viral load) test, since the viral load test would pick up an infection earlier than the antibody test. These tests can be ordered by your primary care doctor or obstetrician.

To minimize the risk that you will beome infected, you and your fiance should practice safe sex. There's lots of good information on this web site about safe sex practices. Acquisition of infection during pregnancy carries a very high risk for infecting the baby, so you should avoid anythng that would put you and your baby at risk.

If you are HIV negative, you don't necessarily need to be followed by a high risk OB. However, it might be reassuring for you to find someone with experience in HIV and OB.

Natural Birth for HIV+ Woman
The Pill

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint