Women and HIVWomen and HIV

More than one strain of HIV?

i have recently been diagnosed hiv+. i was unaware my partner was positive but have since found out he was diagnosed in 2000 and was classified as having aids. he may have also been exposed to more than one strain of hiv. does this make it worse for me? thank you

Response from Dr. Sullivan

There are many strains/types of HIV and there is good evidence that an individual may be infected with more than one strain. We do not know how often infections with more than one strain occur. Because there have been instances where infection with more than one strain appeared to be associated with a more severe infection it is recommended that couples who are both infected continue to use safe sex practices[condoms] to prevent infections with a different strain. JLS.

HPV and HIV
Stevens-Johnson Syndrome