Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HPV and HIV

I was recently diagnosed with HPV. I have been HIV+ for 10 years and am currently on no medication. Have maintained my health very well-no HIV related sicknesses. How interrelated are HPV and HIV in women. I don't know a lot about HPV but am wondering what kind of affect could it have since my immune system is already suppressed. Any information you can provide is helpful. I am currently under doctor's care for the HPV--trying to determine what type--I just had a colposcopy done and am awaiting the results. Thanks for your time!

Response from Dr. Sullivan

HPV [ Human papillomaviruses] are very common throughout the world and infect epithelial [ surface] cells of the skin including the mouth and genital tract. These viruses are the cause of cervical cancer in women. Your HPV infection maybe unrelated to your HIV infection as 40-50% of college age women may experience HPV infection. HIV infection may play a role in the outcome of HPV infections because of the immunosuppression associated with HIV infection. There are certain types of HPV that are associated with a higher risk of cervical cancer. You may have heard about a new vaccine that was recently developed to prevent infection with HPV.JLS.

Husband is HIV+
More than one strain of HIV?