The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

want a baby but my man is+ and i'm not
Aug 21, 2006

Hi, I am living in Ethiopia. My husband is HIV positive and I am not. But we want a baby. Can use another method without sperm washing? Do you have another method? Please help me.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

As you know, unprotected sex carries the risk of transmitting the infection and the acquisition of infection during pregnancy increases the risk of transmitting the virus to the baby. Aside from sperm washing, there are a few things that you could do to decrease the risk of becoming infected but none of these will eliminate the risk. You don't mention whether or not your husband is on therapy. However, HIV positive individuals on antiretroviral therapy, especially those with undetectable viral loads, may be less likely to pass the infection. Some couples limit the unprotected intercourse to the time of ovulation. There are some studies that are ongoing to determine whether antiviral medications limit the risk of infection for HIV negative partners of HIV positive individuals. However, whether this approach would be safe and effective in women contemplating pregnancy has not been studied.

Since there are many other couples in your situation, there is a lot of information on this Forum and web site regarding discordant couples and having a baby. It sounds as if you have begun to look through the information, and I would urge you to review as much as you can and discuss your options with your husband and your care provider.

Second Chance

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint