Women and HIVWomen and HIV

want a baby but my man is+ and i'm not

Hi, I am living in Ethiopia. My husband is HIV positive and I am not. But we want a baby. Can use another method without sperm washing? Do you have another method? Please help me.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

As you know, unprotected sex carries the risk of transmitting the infection and the acquisition of infection during pregnancy increases the risk of transmitting the virus to the baby. Aside from sperm washing, there are a few things that you could do to decrease the risk of becoming infected but none of these will eliminate the risk. You don't mention whether or not your husband is on therapy. However, HIV positive individuals on antiretroviral therapy, especially those with undetectable viral loads, may be less likely to pass the infection. Some couples limit the unprotected intercourse to the time of ovulation. There are some studies that are ongoing to determine whether antiviral medications limit the risk of infection for HIV negative partners of HIV positive individuals. However, whether this approach would be safe and effective in women contemplating pregnancy has not been studied.

Since there are many other couples in your situation, there is a lot of information on this Forum and web site regarding discordant couples and having a baby. It sounds as if you have begun to look through the information, and I would urge you to review as much as you can and discuss your options with your husband and your care provider.

UNDETECTABLE
Second Chance