Women and HIVWomen and HIV

possibly pregnant and on Sustiva

I had sex on the first day of when I should of been ovulating and I started spotting 3 days after. I've been told that this could be implantation bleeding. I am currently on combivir and sustiva, my viral load has been undetectable since I began my meds 6 years ago and my CD4 has always been high. It is now around 1600 or 1700 (I can't remember but my doctor said mine is probably higher than his). If this is "implantation bleeding" should I quit taking my meds right away? Stay on them? Help!

Response from Dr. Sullivan

You should consult your physician providing your HIV care immediately. Sustiva can be the cause of defects in the development of the central nervous system in the embryo. there are other antiretroviral medications that can replace the sustiva while you are pregnant. The substitution can be made without any effects on your viral load. As long as your viral load remains undetectable your risk of transmitting HIV to your baby is less than 1%.JLS.

Am I ready for pregnancy
HIV and Pregnancy