Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Am I ready for pregnancy
Jul 6, 2006

Dear experts, I am 24 y/o, single HIV positive woman. I have been positive for three years now. My viral load is undetectable and my CD4 count is at about 400+. I am currently taking Sustiva and Combivir (which work absolutely great!). Although I am HIV positive, I do want to have at least one child of my own. What is the best procedure for me to use? Artificial insemination or the "do-it-yourself" technique with a syringe or turkey baster? I am in my career and plan on being single for the remainder of my life. But I do want to experience the joys of pregnancy and motherhood (I am my mother's only child who has not made her a grandmother). Will I have to stop Sustiva if I do get pregnant? Which meds are best to take during pregnancy? Do you feel I am ready to become pregnant. Please answer for I so need some answers!

Response from Dr. Sullivan

It sounds like you have made up your mind to have a baby. The best advice I can give you is to find a obstetrician who is experienced in the care of HIV infected women. Your physician will be the best person to guide you through the issues around HIV and pregnancy. If you decide to become pregnant you will have to stop the sustiva as this drug has been associated with neural tube defects in babies exposed during pregnancy. JLS.

Previous
Hiv and pregancy
Next
possibly pregnant and on Sustiva

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.