Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hiv and pregancy
Jul 6, 2006

my boyfriend and i are planning a baby but his cd4 is 890 while mine is 230. I am asymptomatoc and my doctor normally asked i could do another control in 3 months but now with the baby she says i would have to start treatment while getting ready for the pregnancy.

i would like to know if this is the normal procedure or i still have to wait till the 2nd semester as another friend of mine did althought her cd4 was at 350. she has a healthy baby boy

thanks for the concern, regards.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

It has been standard of care to treat HIV infected women with antiretroviral therapy when appropriate for their own health based on the current recommended guidelines. While this practice has gone on for a long time there have been many women who have become pregnant while on treatment and have continued tgreatment throughout their pregnancy. Fortunately, most of these women have not experienced toxicities to their babies. If therapy is not indicated for the women the standard practice would be to start treatment in the beginning of the second trimester of pregnancy. The goal of therapy is to reduce the viral load to undetectable levels. If this can be achieved throughout pregnancy the risk of transmitting HIV to the baby is less than 1 percent.JLS.

Previous
Babies born to hiv infected mothers
Next
Am I ready for pregnancy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.