Women and HIVWomen and HIV

want a baby but my man is+ and im not

Hi, I'm so happy about your forum. I am so curious if it is possible for me to remain negative if the sperm of my husband will be put into a laboratory to undergo sperm washing then through artificial insimation his sperm will be injected in me...Will I be safe from HIV if I do this. Is there any risk for me to be infected on this process hence both of us agreed to do safe sex in order for me to remain uninfected. Thank you so much!

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Unprotected sex will always carry the risk of transmitting HIV. Sperm washing followed by artificial insemination reduces (but may not totally eliminate) the risk of infection. There is a lot of information on this web site and this forum for couples who are disccordant and wat to have a baby. I would urge you to review it with your husband and then speak with your care provider.

pregnant and Hiv
Trouble taking meds.