Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

pregnant and Hiv
Jun 8, 2006

After finding out I was + about a year ago I never thought I would get pregnant due to all the risk involed but now I am. I was on no medication before conception and now trying a new regimen.Im only 26 and this is my 4th child. My question is how is taking medication affecting the baby physically and emotionally because it is definitely stressing me out. Does my baby have to take medication as well? What if the doctor doesn't do a c-section because of the count? How do I take care of myself with medications if I'm severely enemic?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Antiretroviral therapy is advised during pregnancy to optimize maternal health and to prevent HIV transmission to the baby. Women who are not treated with antiretrovirals during pregnancy have about a 25% risk of transmission to the baby (higher with higher viral loads); women with undetectable viral loads on therapy have under 1% risk of transmitting the virus. If therapy brings your virus to undetectable levels, C-section will not further lower the risk and is not advised.

There is lots of information on this web site about antiretroviral use during pregnancy. You might want to start with the "Guidelines for the Use of Antiretrovirals During Pregnancy" at available on this web site in the "Treatment Guidelines". The only antiretroviral agent that is not recommended for use during pregnancy is Efavirenz. All others appear to be safe and well-tolerated by the fetus. You mention that the medications are stressing you out but don't mention specific symptoms. I would urge you to discuss your concerns with your care provider. Again, there are several antiretroviral agents that can be used safely during pregnancy and it's important that you and your care provider find a regimen that you can tolerate.

Previous
vaccine for Cervical cancer/HPV?
Next
want a baby but my man is+ and im not

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.