Women and HIVWomen and HIV

vaccine for Cervical cancer/HPV?

I was listening to some coverage of the 25years of AIDS or related program and thought they mentioned a vaccine that they were getting good results for slowing or stopping cervical, vaginal, and vulvar cancer. Have you heard of such a drug? I have just received an abnormal pap result and have some "cystic growth" in my uterus (found by ultrasound). I am getting a colposcopy? (cervix) and some other test of the uterine lining. HPV was present in the PAP. Knowing that HPV is usually present or starting of cervical cancer I would be interested in a vaccine that would help. Thanks for any info.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Human Papilloma virus (HPV) infection is the major cause of cervical cancers. However, not all women who are infected with HPV will develop cervical cancer. Moreover, while there are many different types of HPV, only a few types appear to cause cervical cancers. Vaccines have been developed that appear effective in preventing infection with HPV and should be licensed soon. Other HPV vaccines are currently in development to determine whether they might prevent cancer formation in individuals who are HPV infected, but these vaccines are not licensed yet for clinical use. The CDC has excellent information on HPV and HPV vaccines on its web site (http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/default.htm), including infomration on clinical trials, which you might find helpful.

CD4 LOW
pregnant and Hiv