Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Long term effects on meds for children

My girlfriend is in Africa taking care of HIV children and babies and ask me to obtain articles pertaining to long term complications with HIV meds. The Children have been on AVM's for over 2 years. Is there anything updated since the last 2004 article on long term complications for children on HIV meds? Also, is there a list of drug interactions for children on HIV Meds?

Any info would be appreciated.

Mary

23 years positive myself

Response from Dr. Sullivan

We have experience with treating HIV infected children for more than 10 years with three drug combinations of antiretroviral therapy that were initiated within the first three months of birth. Overall these children have tolerated these drugs very well with very few side effects. Most importantly, they have a high quality of life, with a normal imnmune system. It appears that children tolerate antiretroviral therapy as well as and sometimes better than adults. It would be very unusual for a child to experience a side effect that was not reported in adult patients receiving the same drug. You can check out the Tenth Annual Drug Guide which gives all the up to date information on antiretroviral drugs at www. tpan.com. JLS.

pregnancy and cd4 count
Alternatives to PACTG 076