Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Birth: Caesarean or vaginal
Apr 19, 2006

Hi, I'm due to give birth in June. This is a planned pregnancy, current cd4 around 450, vl belowlevel of detection for three years now. Am in very good health. I had originally opted for vaginal delivery of baby. However after considering the fact that current protocol in my area ( which has no experience of previous vaginal deliveries) insists that the baby must be delivered within four hours of spontaneous rupture of membranes. Also, other variables such as limited exams to check labour progression, no episiotomy etc have swayed me into the decision that elective c section is the better option.My section is booked in now, a decision which is not irreversible. The problem is that this is the hardest decision I have ever had to make. There still seem to be contrasting opinions about delivery. Indeed in Uk where I live Manchester recomment vag del if vl is <1000, yet LIverpool down the road will do nothing except c sections. I know it will appear to you that I have already decided but I wonder if you could say anything to reassure me, despite the risks of major abdominal surgery, that my decision to have c section is a good one. <any thanks for you reply and for the great work that you do.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

The risk of transmitting HIV from mom to baby is under 1% when moms have undetectable viral load on therapy. At that point, the potential risk of complications of C-section exceed the potential risk of transmitting the virus; for this reason, the ccurrent US guidelines (available under the "Treatment Guidelines" section of this web site) do not recommend C-section when VL is under 1000 copies/ml. I am assuming that antiretroviral therapy will be started on you when you present to hospital; if your labor goes over 4 hours, sufficient antiretrovirals will likely have been transferred to the baby to provide protection. So unless there are other obstetrical reasons that a C-section is recommended for you, I would feel comfortable going with the guidelines to recommend vaginal delivery.

Previous
long history of hiv and pregnancy?
Next
pregnant by positive father

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.