Women and HIVWomen and HIV

My Health

Hello, I have been HIV positive for the 14years and am currently not taking any medications. My T-Cell is 350 and Viral Load is under 400, my doctor saids I am undectable. Have you had patients that have had the illness this long? What has been the outcome when medications were involved. My Dr saids I am in great condition and to continue doing what I am doing. I believe my Faith in God has a lot to do with my positive attitude. My concern though is that my husband and I have been married for 10years and are not separate due to fear of this disease. He is negative, it's the basic story we didn't deal with reality. How can we get through this, what type of preventions can we take. I need to get educated as much as possible. I am finally at a point in my life that I have accepted this disease.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

It sounds as if you have controlled the virus quite well over the years and with a CD4 count of 350 and viral load under 400, most experts would be comfortable with monitoring you closely, without medications. With unprotected sex, there is a risk of transmitting the virus to your husband. While your risk of transmitting the virus is lower, it is not nil. There are several good resources for mixed status couples on this web site, including a forum (http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Couples/index.html).

Adopting Child with initial positive then negative tests
long history of hiv and pregnancy?