Women and HIVWomen and HIV

kaletra and pregnancy

I am undectable under 50 and my cd4 is almost 500. I was taking sustiva I just found out that I am 3 weeks pregnant my doctor changed me to kaletra, didanosine and epivir. What are the risks of the baby having a problem and is Kaletra safe for pregnant women. Thanks a lot for your answer. I am very worried.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Sustiva is not recommended for use during pregnancy due to reports of birth defects in monkey or human babies whose mothers received sustiva during pregnancy. We have extensive experience with the use of didanosine and epivir during pregnancy and they do not appear to be associated with adverse effects. While we have less experience with Kaletra during pregnancy, it is being used more frequently and so far, appears to be safe. There is some concern that pregnant women may need higher doses of Kaletra to maintain low viral loads. Your care provider should check your viral load a few weeks to a month after changing your meds (and then every 2-3 months thereafter) to be sure that this new regimen is continuing to suppress your virs.

CD count & VL
talking to child about HIV/AIDS