Women and HIVWomen and HIV

link between hyperthyrodism and increased med side effects

Back around Thanksgiving, my meds. started making me sick to the point I stopped them. I was also having a rapid weight loss so my Doc tested my thyroid and I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease. I just started taking my meds again, and I'm miserably sick. I'm on day 5, and I'm not sure I can keep on them. Is there a link between the hyperthyrodism and the increase of side effects?

Response from Dr. Sullivan

Graves Disease is a cause of hyperthyroidism where the thyroid gland becomes super active resulting in a variety of symptoms which can be mild to severe; many of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism are similar to those which can be seen with antiretroviral therapies like skin rash and itching; diarrhea, vomiting, tremulousnes and tremor, psychiatric symptoms, emotional lability, insomnia; muscle weakness etc; it would be very important that your physician caring for your HIV infection and your physician treating your Graves Disease communicate with each other about the medications and the symptoms you are experiencing; I would be optimistic that you would be able to be effectively treated for both conditions; JLS.

CMV IgM positive treatment
Living with AIDS and now possibly breast cancer