Women and HIVWomen and HIV

my girl hiv + situation

my girl is hiv+ with virus load 104.she was order not take any treatment.How can I pregnant her without been affected nor the baby?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Treatment wouldnot generally be indicated for individuals with a viral load of 105 (unless the CD4 count was under 350). However, if you and your girlfriend are considering pregnancy, most experts would recommend that she start therapy in order to decrease the risk of transmitting the virus to the baby. Unfortunately, even on therapy, there will always be the risk of passing the virus to you with unprotected sex. Artificial insemination is one way that she could get pregnant without the risk of infecting you.

Many individuals are in the same situation and you might find prior similar questions and answers on this Forum helpful. The "Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents During Pregnancy" (available under the "Treatment Guidelines" section of this web site) provide extensive information on preventing mother-to-child HIV transmission. I would urge you and your girlfirend to read through this information and discuss your plans with her HIV care provider to determine your options and the best course of action.

hiv-1 and hiv-2
CMV IgM positive treatment