The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Primary HIV or something else?
Jan 20, 2006

I am a female who had sex with a new male partner 43 days ago. The condom broke during intercourse. We realized it before ejaculation occurred, but I don't know how many minutes went by before we realized what had happened. I began having urinary discomfort, a tender vulva, and non-menstrual bleeding about 3 weeks ago. I went to my doctor and discovered that I had chlamydia. I was given 1000mg Azithromycin 8 days ago. Symptoms have improved, but some bleeding and urinary discomfort remain. 7 days ago, I began to develop some discomfort in the area of my underarm and groin lymph nodes. I don't know whether or not they are swollen, but they are tender. I have had a sore throat that comes and goes, but that has been happening for about the last 4 weeks. No fever, no other symptoms. I'm especially concerned about the possibility of HIV since I contracted another STD. I plan on visiting my doctor again in about 1 week for a follow-up on the chlamydia, as well as to be tested for HIV. In your opinion, do my symptoms at this time seem to be indicative of primary HIV infection, or perhaps related to the chlamydial infection, or perhaps something else? I appreciate your help.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

The only way to know for sure if you are HIV infected is by getting a HIV test; the overall risk of tranmission from male to female in a single act of intercourse is 3 per 1000; that is 3 infections for every 1000 acts of intercourse; JLS.

worried mom
plastic surgery?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint