Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Pregnancy and Trizivir

Good day

I'm taking Trizivir - one tablet twice a day. I was wondering if at all it is safe to fall pregnant while on Trizivir. I can't seem to find much info on this particular subject. Please help me if you can. I still want to have a baby!

My CD4 count is 446 and viral load is 40 (undetectable). Thank you

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Yes, there is a fair amount of experience with all 3 medications that comprise Trizivir and they appear to be safe for administration during pregnancy. It sounds as if you have had very good control of your virus with this medication, so most experts would recommend that you continue it as you consider pregnancy and after you become pregnant. For more extensive information on the safety and efficacy of various antiretroviral medications during pregnancy, you should check out the "Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents in Pregnancy", available on this web site under the "Treatment Guidelines" section.

children and late diagnosis
HIV + male, HIV- woman