Women and HIVWomen and HIV

children and late diagnosis

Myself and my 10 and 8 year old child have just been diagnosed with HIV/AIDS. How is it possible for a child to have it since birth and show no major signs? Realistically what are the chances for our survival!

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

While most children develop symptoms and signs of HIV within a few years of birth, a small percentage (5-10%) of children can go 8 years or more without symptoms. Appropriate HIV care (including antiretroviral therapy) can make a big difference and allow children to live for many, many more years. There is a lot of good information on this web site for adults and children who have been newly diagnosed. For a good review on pediatric HIV therapy, you should take a look at the "Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents in Children", available on this web site under the "Treatment Guidelines" section. This document provides a comprehensive overview of pediatric HIV infection, along with current recommendations regarding when to begin therapy and how to choose a regimen. At this point, I would recommend that you and your children seek care from providers who are expert in HIV care and discuss your treatment options with them. Good luck and please write back if you have further questions as you go along.

Concerned Teen
Pregnancy and Trizivir