Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Videx and pregnancy

Hi Dr, Need your urgent reply. My vl is undetactable and cd4 is over 850. My drugs : Viread+videx+stockrin, since i started thinking on gettng pregnancy my dr told me i should switch the stockrin, so we tried viramune and i got the stevens johnson, i got it pretty bad and almost passed away. now my dr. decided to give me the kaletra instead of the stockrin only for the time beeing pregnant. so actually it means i will take kaletra+viread+videx. a dr. at the side effects forum wrote me here:Trying to get on the most fat friendly nukes (such as tenofovir or abacavir) is a good idea and I often don't like ddI (Videx ) during pregnancy for safety issues. KH Well, i have ressitsnce to most of the drugs and the kaletra+videx+stockrin is what i can take. Can you please advice what should i do? Untill this moment no one told me that videx is not recomended for pregnancy only the stockrin, so i have switched the stockrin to kaletra, need your urgent reply cause we should start trying on getting pregnant asap.I am so scared and really wants to get pregnant finally.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

The only antiviral that is not routinely recommended during pregnancy is Efavirenz (Stockrin). Nevirapine is generally not recommended for repeated dosing in pregnant women with CD4 counts over 250, due to an increased risk of hepatic toxicity. Most other antiretrovirals (including ddI ) have been used safely in pregnant women and we generally recommend using antivirals to maximize control of viral replication. In your case, resistance testing has guided the choice of an antiviral regimen that should be safe for administration during pregnancy.

My child
Does my baby have a chance of being infected with HIV?