Women and HIVWomen and HIV

My child

Is there a possibility of my child outgrowing her HIV infection, she is now 22 months old and is as healthy as ever. She is on Bactrim, Multivitamins and TB medication. Oh I am also giving her Amazing Grace immune Boosters.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

No, HIV infected people never clear infection. However, it is possible to keep her healthy by making sure that she receives routine evaluation and care. Bactrim is recommended for all HIV positive children to prevent Pneumoocystis infection. Treatment of co-infections (e.g., tb) is also recommended. I am not familiar with Amazing Grace Immune Boosters, but I think that it is fair to say that if your child is receiving a varied diet and multivitamins, that other nutritional supplements are not necessary (and may actually have ingredients that are dangerous or interact with HIV and TB meds). You don't mention your child's clinical status, CD4 count, or viral load but these should be taken into account when considering antiretroviral therapy. The US and World Health Organization guidelines for Antiretrovirals in Children have some very helpful information ; you may wish to consider consulting these documents if you are considering antiretroviral therapy for your child.

Late Detection
Videx and pregnancy