Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Late Detection

I was over six months pregnant when I find out I was HIV Positive. I was placed on Combivir and Viracept within a week. My viral load was undetectable and it stayed that way throughout pregnancy. Because of this my doctors have been very optimistic about my baby being negative but I am scared because when I left the hospital they still gave my baby the retroviral syrup and the results from his test weren't given to me. What are the odds that he will be negative?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

The odds are excellent. With an undetectable viral load on therapy, the risk of transmitting the virus is under 1%. Even when moms have undetectable viral load, we recommend treatment of the baby to maximize protection of the baby and prevention of transmission.

PREGNANCY
My child