Women and HIVWomen and HIV

indeterminate result

Hello. I recently went in for a blood test and got word that my HIV test came back repeatedly 'indeterminate'. I am celibate, I've had sex five times in the last five years, all with my husband. We are not a sexually inclined couple and both he nor I ahve had sex with anyone else. I am a cancer survivor though and have more than likely received blood transfusions in the last four years. Last year I had a blood test and the results were fine. Now I am told to get another HIV test to make sure.

what troubles me are these two things: 1) I do have mild oral thrush, and 2) How can I possibly trust the medical 'business' ever again, if they let bad blood go into my transfusion? I suffered terribly during the horrors of chemotherapy...the side effects were off the wall...am I supposed to trust the AMA to deal with me? I am way turned off to pharmacueticals, like you cannot believe.

So...how often does 'indeterminate' go positive?

thank you.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

Based on the information you have given I think it is highly unlikely that you are HIV infected; indeterminate antibody tests are reasonably common; you can resolve this issue with a test for HIV RNA[ HIV viral load]; ask your physician for a viral load test to relieve your anxiety; JLS.

recent news on HRT for HIV positive women?
Artificial Insemination