Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

indeterminate result
Sep 30, 2005

Hello. I recently went in for a blood test and got word that my HIV test came back repeatedly 'indeterminate'. I am celibate, I've had sex five times in the last five years, all with my husband. We are not a sexually inclined couple and both he nor I ahve had sex with anyone else. I am a cancer survivor though and have more than likely received blood transfusions in the last four years. Last year I had a blood test and the results were fine. Now I am told to get another HIV test to make sure.

what troubles me are these two things: 1) I do have mild oral thrush, and 2) How can I possibly trust the medical 'business' ever again, if they let bad blood go into my transfusion? I suffered terribly during the horrors of chemotherapy...the side effects were off the wall...am I supposed to trust the AMA to deal with me? I am way turned off to pharmacueticals, like you cannot believe.

So...how often does 'indeterminate' go positive?

thank you.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

Based on the information you have given I think it is highly unlikely that you are HIV infected; indeterminate antibody tests are reasonably common; you can resolve this issue with a test for HIV RNA[ HIV viral load]; ask your physician for a viral load test to relieve your anxiety; JLS.

Previous
recent news on HRT for HIV positive women?
Next
Artificial Insemination

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.