Women and HIVWomen and HIV

recent news on HRT for HIV positive women?

I am 32 and seroconverted 2 years ago. In the past year I have noticed increasing fatigue, headaches, joint pain and weight gain.

I am currently on a drug holiday (3 months). My symptoms haven't changed (better or worse)since starting the holiday.

I am unable to sleep through the night, waking up or not being able to fall asleep every hour or 2.

I haven't had a period for a little over a year. I am wondering about the possibility of early menopause. I have an appointment next month with my primary care doctor and was wondering if there have been any new reports or clinical trial data on the use of HRT in post-menopausal HIV+ women.

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

I would be very surprised if you were in the earl stages of menopause at age 32; I think it is likely that your symptoms may be unrelated to your HIV infection and the fact that they did not change when antiretroviral therapy[ ART] was stopped is a good indicator that they are not due to drug toxicities; if your CD4 count/viral load are in the range suggesting tratment with ART I would strongly recommend re-initiation of ART; your primary care physician will explore other potential causes of your symptoms; JLS.

Daughter HIV positive
indeterminate result