Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

posibilities...
Aug 20, 2005

I was told before I stated dating the guy I'm dating now that he has AIDS I was forced to have sex with him unprotected then after 10 mins he decided to use a condom for about 3 mins. I still havent got checked because I'm only 14 and I'm scared to discuss this with my mom or sisters that will be able to take me to get checked. What are the posibilities he passed it?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Unprotected sex carries the risk not only of passing HIV but also other sexually transmitted diseases (STD), along with the risk of pregnancy. Any young woman who is having sex should have routine gyn checkups and I would urge you to get checked by a doctor or nurse. It would be best if you could confide in and go with a family member, but there are many places (for example, some school clinics, public health clinics, and community health centers) where HIV/STD testing and GYN care can be obtained confidentially.

I'm concerned that you state that you were forced to have sex with your boyfriend without protection. He should use a condom at all times. If he doesn't, he is putting you at risk for HIV and other STD's, and you might want to re-think the relationship.

Previous
CD4 counts and treatment
Next
I need a doctor who will assist me in getting pregnant.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.