Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sustiva in 5th week of pregnancy...
Aug 20, 2005

Dear Dr. Luzuriaga I am an Medical Assistant in Rhode island and my best friend is pregnant and HIV+. She is asking me a lot of stuff about HIV but my knowledge is limited. She is pregnant for 5-6 weeks now her LMP was july 13, 2005. She was taking sustiva & combivir before until Aug. 15, 2005 she stopped taking it as per doctors advice until the 3rd trimester.Then she has to take a HAARt suitable for pregnancy. She is so worried that there will be an effect to the fetus. Did you know somebody who took sustiva during the 1st month of pregnancy that the baby turned out fine and free of defects? What are the chances of her having a normal and healthy baby of the mother who took sutiva for 1st month of pregnancy? By the way her CD4 is 800 and VL is <50. Doctor i am hoping for your reply so I have something to tell my friend the next time she ask me. Thank you and more power to all of you.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Sustiva is not recommended for use during pregnancy (and especially during the first trimester) because of reports of fetal malformations in monkeys or human babies whose mothers received Sustiva during pregnancy. In the monkey study, 3 of 20 fetuses whose mothers were administered Sustiva during pregnancy had malformations. In a human study that documented pregnancy outcomes in women who had received Sustiva during pregnancy, 5 of 128 infants had malformations. So, not all infants exposed to Sustiva will develop malformations but stopping the medication is wise. With an undetectable viral load on therapy, less than 1% of women will transmit the virus to their baby.

Previous
MAY I LEAVE THE DRUGS
Next
CD4 counts and treatment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.