Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HIV+ child and sports

My adopted HIV+ son is very athletic and agile. His VL is undetectable and CD4 is normal. Is there any reason why he should not be involved in non-contact organized sports such as gymnastics or baseball? Should I divulge his status even if I prefer not to? Would he be a risk to anyone?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

We encourage our HIV positive kids to engage in sports. Most schools and coaches are careful to limit exposure to anyone's blood or fluids and use "universal precautions." With an undetectable viral load, your son's risk of transmission is very low. Because universal precautions are in place, we do not usually recommend disclosure of children's HIV status.

HIV+ girlfriend possible to deliver health baby
My Dr. wants to use artificial insemination