Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

t-cell percentage
Aug 8, 2005

Back in oct.,2004 my t cell count was 319 and the percentage was 14, and my viral load was undetectable,since then my t cell count has gone down to 208,the %is at 17,viral load is still undetectable.I'm concerened that its is the meds not working right anymore.My doctor tells me that the meds are working fine because the % went up,he said that they look at the % more then the actual number.Could you please explain what he is talking about.To me when then number goes down then something is not right.So if you could explain to me what the difference is between the actual number and the percent???

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

CD4+ T cells are a type of lymphocyte (white blood cell). To measure the CD4+ T cell count, we measure the percent of T cells that also express the CD4 marker on their surface (%CD4). To calculate the total CD4+ T cell count, we multiply the total number of white blood cells by the percentage of white blood cells that are lymphocytes, which gives us the total number of lymphocytes. We then multiply the total number of lymphocytes by the %CD4 to get the absolute CD4 count. The %CD4 is therefore a more direct measure of someone's CD4 + T cell count. Since the absolute count is calculated using the total white blood cell count and percentage of lymphocytes, anything that changes these numbers (such as an infection, medications, etc) will change the absolute lymphocyte count.

Previous
VIRAL LOAD in pregnancy
Next
herpes?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.