Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

THRUSH IN 9 MONTH OLD
Jun 9, 2005

MY NINE MONTH OLD JUST GOT THRUSH AND A YEAST INFECTION. THIS FOLLOWED A STOMACH VIRUS, WHERE SHE HAD DIAHERRA FOR SIX DAYS, AND THROWING UP FOR THREE, ALONG WITH A 102 FEVER FOR ONE DAY, AND A FEW LOW THINGS ON CBC, WHICH SHE WAS DEHYRATED AND GOT FLUIDS, AND A LITTLE BIT OF MEDICINE TO HELP NAUSEA. THEN THIS. SO HERE'S MY QUESTION, COULD MY CHILD SOMEHOW GOT HIV, OR ARE THIS NOT SYMPTOMS OF ARS, AND IS IT NORMAL FOR 9 MONTH OLDS TO GET THRUSH BECAUSE I READ IT DOESN'T USALLY OCCUR AFTER TWO UNLESS THEY HAVE SOMETHIGN WRONG, AND I AM FREAKING OUT, BUT THE MEDICINE SEEMS TO BE HELPING ALOT. SO PLEASE IS IT ALL NORMAL COULD THE STOMACH FLU CAUSE THRUSH?? THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Infants can get thrush, particularly if they are treated with antibiotics. Recurrent, severe, or hard-to-treat thrush could indicate an underlying immune deficiency. However, it sounds as if this is your child's first episode and that the thrush is clearing rapidly with treatment, so I would not worry.

Previous
How is hepatitis spread?
Next
lowered immune system and pregnancy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.