Women and HIVWomen and HIV

children and hiv

Good morning! I am from Romania and I have 33 yeas old.I have hiv infection and I am first romanian people who did Fuzeon.I am married and I follow antiretroviral terapy (norvir,agenerase,trizivir). CD4=1180;load viral=0 (<20cop./mm3).I am psychologist. Can I have children? thank you!

Response from Dr. Sullivan

Women who are HIV infected and become pregnant are at risk for transmitting HIV to their infant, this can occur while the baby is in the uterus, during the period of labor and delivery and after birth during breast feeding; transmission of HIV is directly related to viral load, a viral load greater than 100,000 copies/ml is associated with a risk of transmission greater than 50%; a viral load less than 1000 copies/ml is associated with a risk less than 1%; transmission through breast milk can be avoided by formula feeding; I hope this is helpful; JLS.

HIV Test
Positive man Negative Woman