Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Is amniocentesis an option?

I'm HIV+ and pregnant still in first trimester. Because I just recently found out about my status, I'm not sure about viral load or CD4 count.

I haven't started meds or visited a HIV Specialist. I plan to start at the 3 month mark. This website has been an enormous help understanding the risks associated with my situation.

Two questions: 1.) I can't find any information on amniocentesis. Can someone please discuss the risks as it pertains to people in my situation.

2.) How can I find an expert and reputable OB/GYN HIV Specialist in the San Francisco area. I need to get under the care of someone fast.

Thanks for all your dedication in providing this extremely useful information.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

You don't indicate why you would consider amniocentiesis, but it is not usually recommended due to the potential risk of infecting the baby. There are a number of HIV specialists and obstetricians with experience caring for HIV positive women at the University of California, San Francisco. They also have a very active pediatric clinic. So, I would recommend that you contact them as soon as possible to get yourself into care. As you point out, a viral load and CD4 count are some of the first tests that they will do and their recommendations regarding treatment will depend on the results. You might wish to review the Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents During Pregnancy (available on this web site) to get more information on mother-to-child transmission and how to prevent it. Women who have undetectable viral load on therapy have a < 1 % chance of passing the virus to their baby.

Re: your qualified answer to someone with a negative HIV test
can I have a Healthy child