Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sustiva and pregnancy
Apr 8, 2005

Good morning, I'm an Italian woman 39 years old hiv+ since 87. Now i'm on sustiva+combivir tretment and i'm doing well.my question is what's the risk to become pregnant with this therapy? thank's a lot

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Pregnancy is not advised while patients are taking Sustiva. This is because birth defects (problems with brain development) have been observed in baby monkeys whose mothers were administered Sustiva while pregnant; recently, birth defects were also reported in 5 of 188 infants born to women who took Sustiva during the first trimester of pregnancy. In another retrospective study, 4 infants with brain defects were reported in infants born to women who took Sustiva during the first trimester. With these results, the recommendation is that Sustiva should be used during the first trimester of pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus (for example, in pregnant women without other therapeutic options). If you do wish to become pregnant, you should strongly consider changing your antiretroviral therapy. I would urge you to discuss your treatment options with your care provider.

Previous
6 months preg on meds cobrivair and kaletra can i nurse if i take these drugs both experts please reply
Next
Please Help! Pregnant and worried

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.