Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Sustiva and pregnancy

Good morning, I'm an Italian woman 39 years old hiv+ since 87. Now i'm on sustiva+combivir tretment and i'm doing well.my question is what's the risk to become pregnant with this therapy? thank's a lot

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Pregnancy is not advised while patients are taking Sustiva. This is because birth defects (problems with brain development) have been observed in baby monkeys whose mothers were administered Sustiva while pregnant; recently, birth defects were also reported in 5 of 188 infants born to women who took Sustiva during the first trimester of pregnancy. In another retrospective study, 4 infants with brain defects were reported in infants born to women who took Sustiva during the first trimester. With these results, the recommendation is that Sustiva should be used during the first trimester of pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus (for example, in pregnant women without other therapeutic options). If you do wish to become pregnant, you should strongly consider changing your antiretroviral therapy. I would urge you to discuss your treatment options with your care provider.

6 months preg on meds cobrivair and kaletra can i nurse if i take these drugs both experts please reply
Please Help! Pregnant and worried