Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

second opinion
Apr 2, 2005

i found out i was hiv+ after my baby's birth. She took azt for 6 weeks and goes to the i.d. clinic every 3 mos. she tested + at birth but they said that was normal and we would have to wait until she was 18 mos to be sure they said that she was ok as of now she is almost 15 mos. I basically want a second opinion it's a free clinic she goes to and i'm scared they're wrong

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

In the absence of any antiviral therapy, about 25-30% of HIV positive women will transmit the virus to their babies. The detection of antibodies is the usual way that HIV is diagnosed in adults. However, antibodies can not be used to diagnose infection in babies because all HIV positive moms have antibodies and pass them to their babies. It can take up to 18 months for the baby to clear these antibodies, so we usually use other tests more specific for the virus ("viral load" or PCR) to test for HIV infection in babies under 18 months of age. Please check with your care provider to see what kind of testing was done. If the tests specific for the virus ("viral load" or PCR) were negative at or after 3-4 months of age and you are not breastfeeding your child, your baby is likely uninfected.

Previous
Save my babys life PLEASE
Next
Is my baby ok

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.