Women and HIVWomen and HIV

baby not hiv+ please

I just recently found out that I am 8 weeks pregnant. I am not curretly on meds. So, my questions are is it going to be ok for the baby up until the 5th month not to be medicated? Also, is Combivir and Viracept the best meds known for pregnancy?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Continuation of antiretroviral therapy is generally recommended when women on antiretroviral therapy get pregnant. When moms are not on therapy, the decision of when and what to start depends on mom's CD4 count and viral load. If your viral load is measurable, most experts would recommend starting antiretroviral therapy to minimize the risk of transmitting the virus to your baby. You could either start now or wait until after the first trimester (the period of time when most of the baby's organs form) is over. We usually recommend at least 3 drugs in that instance, in order to maximize suppression of viral load and decrease the chance that you will develop resistance. The Combivir/Viracept combination has been shown to be safe and effective in lowering viral load during pregnancy. However, this may not be a good choice for you if you've been treated with any of the drugs previously.

So, you can see thet there are a lot of factors here that go into a decision. I would recommend that you read the "Recommendations for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents During Pregnancy", which provides a lot of information on how best to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV. you should then discuss your alternatives with your care provider to make a decision that's right for you and your baby. Please write back if more questions come up as you read and think about this.

Herpes on the roof of the mouth?
overweight and HIV+