Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

baby not hiv+ please
Feb 21, 2005

I just recently found out that I am 8 weeks pregnant. I am not curretly on meds. So, my questions are is it going to be ok for the baby up until the 5th month not to be medicated? Also, is Combivir and Viracept the best meds known for pregnancy?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Continuation of antiretroviral therapy is generally recommended when women on antiretroviral therapy get pregnant. When moms are not on therapy, the decision of when and what to start depends on mom's CD4 count and viral load. If your viral load is measurable, most experts would recommend starting antiretroviral therapy to minimize the risk of transmitting the virus to your baby. You could either start now or wait until after the first trimester (the period of time when most of the baby's organs form) is over. We usually recommend at least 3 drugs in that instance, in order to maximize suppression of viral load and decrease the chance that you will develop resistance. The Combivir/Viracept combination has been shown to be safe and effective in lowering viral load during pregnancy. However, this may not be a good choice for you if you've been treated with any of the drugs previously.

So, you can see thet there are a lot of factors here that go into a decision. I would recommend that you read the "Recommendations for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents During Pregnancy", which provides a lot of information on how best to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV. you should then discuss your alternatives with your care provider to make a decision that's right for you and your baby. Please write back if more questions come up as you read and think about this.

Previous
Herpes on the roof of the mouth?
Next
overweight and HIV+

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.